Sunday, March 9, 2014

True Detective 1x08 SEASON FINALE Recap & Review


So I watched on demand just now. I had to stop working and watch before I heard an possible spoilers. I already heard a number of debates on the merits of this finale on various news and talk shows in the past 24 hours. So had to watch for myself...

I was fearing the worse based on something someone on CNBC said. However becuase I was expecting the worst I think I enjoyed the episode at the highest possible level...

For me it was awesome. With the extend denouement, I was so expecting a harsh resolution like redistribution from the conspiracy etc.

So I will keep this short because I need a shower to wash the creep factor off... 

We finally met the Yellow King. We met him once before mowing a lawn and back then I had my suspicions. The opening scene had scary memories of X-FILES "HOME" where an inbred  family killed and lived in a way most inbred folk would curse. You get the sense that what they showed in this series is far less horrible than what actually happened. 

Cut to Rust & Marty back on the boat interrogating their old buddy from CI. We realize that the system could never have investigated this case, because real cops cannot do what Rust & Marty do to get to the truth. And how about that bar owner. Best shot out of all bar owners of all time. Misjudged that book cover for sure...

Only fault? I really found the set for the final showdown to be a bit over done. Guessing that was an old fort that had been retaken by the swamp. But it felt way too much like a haunted house. Just fake enough to not take seriously. Either way still loved the intensity of the scene.

Long story short, I am guessing Matthew McConaughey is going to head to Broadway next so he can win the Hat Trick. because if he does not take Best Actor at the Emmy Awards, I do not know who will. Who else this year - so far - has (or can) delivered a monologue like that and held our attention with such minimalism. His only competition is Woody. Alright Alright Alright...







No comments:

Post a Comment